26th January 2011

Well today got off to the worst possible start. I was in bed, it was dark and so I reached out for my phone to see the time. I knocked a glass off the table and it smashed all over the floor. I got up for a dustpan and brush but stood on a piece of glass in the meantime. A fragment of glass got stuck in my toe; yes you guessed it, in my already battered big toe. I got the glass out luckily and it bled a little but no major harm done. I’m so bloody clumsy sometimes.

So today we have no internet. What on earth am I going to do with myself!! I put the TV. on and put Eurosport on because it’s the only channel I can get in English. It had to be tennis on didn’t it. Of all the sports in the world I only ever seem to see tennis and skiing on this channel and they happen to be the two sports I don’t give a toss about. I tried watching some anyway because Andy Murray was playing. It was either that or ‘The Big Bang Theory’ which was badly dubbed in German. I can’t stand English dubbed films let alone German ones. This could turn into a very boring week or two without the internet. At least I can keep up to date with my diary offline and maybe sort my music out into some kind of order on the laptop.

It turns out that Tomas let us borrow his dongle so we had internet for the day after all. It gave me a chance to do all the important things like update my Mafia Wars on Facebook, you know, all them important jobs. I haven’t had any reply from UPS yet but as Agnieszka says, no news is good news. He might be thinking about taking me on. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Agnieszka threw bags full of clothes out today. I took them over the road to the Red Cross collection bin. I was quite surprised really, for someone who is usually so unorganised and messy it was a shock to see her getting stuck into something like that and obviously I was happy because the more that gets thrown the better as far as I’m concerned.

I had a message on the Toytown website today. It was from Oliver a 29 year old from London who’s thinking of moving over here to Dresden to live with his girlfriend. I gave him all the advice I could think of but I don’t think anything can really prepare you for such a culture change. To move abroad where they talk a different language I think having patience and an open mind have to be the main ingredients. If you have both of them then I think your half way there.

Agnieszka made a good point tonight. I asked why there were a million Polish living in England but not many living in Germany which is its border country and a much nicer place to live. Apparently the border is closed to Polish and Czechs until March this year when the law changes. That’s why it’s so important for me to get a job pretty quickly because Germany is sure to be overrun with Polish soon looking for a better life. I don’t know how that is going to go down with Germany though who I’m quickly realising is still quite a racist country that hasn’t been overrun with foreigners yet.  There’s more Turkish in Germany than anything else which was a big shock to me. I haven’t met one Turk yet, come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever met a Turk in my life!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Promote Podcast